About the Program
New for the 2021 summer, the Valdez Eco-Stewardship Program (VESP) is designed to engage high school aged students entering grades 10-12 for the 2021-22 school year.
Participants will have the opportunity to gain real-world experience in the fields of outdoor recreation and adventure, natural resource management, and environmental stewardship and education through a model of experiential education and a variety of community based service projects through local partnerships. Students should be able to commit to all six (6) weeks of the program.
Dates & Times
- June 14- July 23, Monday- Friday*
- Actual program times will vary based on trips, program and project needs, but students can anticipate working approximately 9:00am- 4:00pm each day.
- *Students will be required to attend Saturday, July 17 as part of the PWSC Outdoor Leadership Course.
Details & Benefits
- $2,000 stipend - students must complete all six (6) weeks of the program to be eligible. Eligible students will be awarded the stipend upon completion of the program.
- 3 College Elective Credits
- Students will participate in a weeklong outdoor education course in partnership with Prince William Sound College's Outdoor Leadership Program. Students will have the opportunity to sea kayak to Gold Creek and Shoup Bay State Marine Park where they will learn about outdoor leadership, risk management and decision-making, and receive certifications in Wilderness First Aid and Leave No Trace principles. Trip is led by PWSC Outdoor Leadership Professor, Benjamin Rush.
- 1 High School Elective Credit
- Students will be required to write a 3-5 page summary of their experience during VESP.
- A variety of community based service projects, which may include park maintenance, trail building and maintenance, climate and glacier education, sustainable food systems and processes, etc.
Prospective applicants should submit a one-page letter of interest and three (3) references. Applicant's letter of interest should address the following:
- Your interest in the outdoors;
- Your leadership qualities and/or experiences;
- Why you feel you would be a good fit for the program
Completed applications should be submitted to Jared Lustig, Recreation Manager, by email to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED - All applications are now due by 5:00pm on Friday, May 7, 2021.
For more information or question, please contact Jared Lustig, Recreation Manager
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (907) 835-4526 (x3)