e City of Valdez Parks & Recreation Department maintains and grooms approximately 33 miles of winter trails on a seasonal basis as weather conditions and snow depths allow each year. Trail routes may change with snow depth and open water.
Winter Trail System
|Mineral Creek Trails||Downtown Trails||Out-of-Town Trails|
*Meyring Park grooming takes place after street plowing and snow blowing is complete.
Parks Maintenance grooms trails Monday through Saturday; with holidays groomed based on staff availability. The grooming schedule is subject to change due to weather conditions and available equipment, including:
|Monday||Mineral Creek Trails, Elementary School Sledding Hill, PE/School class prep as needed|
|Tuesday||Mineral Creek Trails, water crossing bridge building as needed, PE/School class prep as needed|
|Wednesday||Mineral Creek Trails, Elementary School Playground, PE/School class prep as needed|
|Thursday||Out-of-Town Trails, Competition prep as needed, Meyring Park, Dock Point, Meals Hill &, Mineral Creek Trails.|
|Friday||Ski Hill, Mineral Creek Trails, PE/school class and Competition prep as needed|
|Saturday||Ski Hill as needed, Mineral Creek Trails|
*Grooming all Out-of-Town trails ends on March 31; all grooming ends April 15.
Winter Trails Etiquette
For the safety and enjoyment of all trail users, please abide by the following rules and guidelines:
- Follow all posted signs and be respectful of other trails users.
- Be an ambassador for your sport.
- Always leash and pick-up after your dog(s).
- Respect ski-only trail designations. Please no snowmachines, wheels, feet or paws.
- Do not walk, run, ride or skate ski in the classic tracks.
- Move to the side of the trail for passing skiers or if you fall.
- Trails may be multi-directional or one-way; know before you go and be aware of oncoming trail users.
- Motorized vehicles must yield to non-motorized trails users; skiers have the right-of-way in all situations.
- The speed limit for all multi-use trails is 20 mph.
Persons who violate or fail to comply with these rules are subject to a fine up to $300, which may result in the impoundment of the vehicle/equipment used in the violation and may result in a loss of privileges to use the trail system, per Valdez Municipal Code 12.08.010.
Ski for Free
Did you know getting out on the winter trails in Valdez is a breeze? With the Ski for Free program, you can rent the equipment that you and your family need to get outside to play this winter! This program is 100% FREE, and is operated and sponsored by Prince William Sound College Health & Fitness Center and the Sound Wellness Alliance Network.
Winter Trails Guide
Questions or Concerns?
Please contact the PRCS main office at 907-835-2531, Monday through Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm, for any questions or concerns.