Valdez COVID-19 Economic Relief & Recovery Initiative
In addition to mitigating the health impacts of COVID-19 in Valdez, our community has been working diligently to address the economic impacts from the pandemic felt by residents, businesses, and non-profit organizations.
The local approach to economic relief and recovery was split into three phases, consisting of immediate emergency assistance thru waivers of fees and penalties, direct assistance thru the May 2020 distribution of approximately $3M in relief funds to Valdez businesses and residents, and ongoing economic recovery efforts.
Phase Three: Economic Recovery (In Progress)
Current Valdez Economic Recovery Initiative Programs
Check back often for updates on additional programs coming soon!
The first Economic Recovery Initiative programs rolled out to the community in early December 2020.
- 2021 Valdez Advertising & Marketing Grant Program
The City also launched the Valdez Advertising & Marketing Matching Grant Program, which provides a matching grant up to $5,000 to assist local tourism-related small businesses market their company and our community to visitors.
A wide variety of advertising efforts are eligible under the program. If you are unsure if you qualify for the grant, please email email@example.com for guidance.
Grant applications are due no later than 5:00 p.m. on Jan. 15. Click here to learn more.
- COVID-19 Mitigation Planning Guide for Event Organizers
The “Considerations for Event Organizers and COVID-19 Mitigation Plan” guide is now available for download on the city events website or by request to the City Economic Development Department.
The guide provides detailed considerations for local event organizers to assist in writing a COVID-19 mitigation plan and safely plan events in Valdez. Plan review and assistance is available at no cost to event organizers. Click here to learn more.
Mayor's COVID-19 Economic Recovery Task Force
(Work Complete 11.17.2020)
Between May and November 2020, the Mayor’s COVID-19 Economic Recovery Task Force partnered with the business community and local non-profits to define successful economic recovery; determine needed relief, education, and support; and provide recommendations to Valdez City Council for programs which might assist in this effort.
The Task Force presented its findings and recommendations to the Valdez City Council during a joint work session on November 11, 2020.
Task Force recommendations include:
- Creating and implementing a local business economic recovery grant program, which will award up to $10,000 per business negatively impacted by COVID-19.
- Incremental community marketing efforts: Creating and implementing an economic marketing grant program for local tourism-related businesses; support for funding Valdez Convention & Visitors’ Bureau to typical annual bed tax levels; funding incremental tourism marketing in 2021; coordinating a community marketing plan; travel trade program expansion; and creating a 2021 travel incentive program for visitors.
- Safety and consumer confidence efforts: Continued support for COVID-19 testing, vaccinations, safe community event implementation, and expansion of the COVID Conscious Business Program.
- Ongoing and expanded business support, education, and communications.
- Supporting air services and Alaska Marine Highway System travel to Valdez.
On November 17, 2020, the City Council approved and adopted Task Force recommendations contained in the group's final report. Click here to view Resolution 20-64,
On May 19, 2020, Valdez City Council established the Mayor’s COVID-19 Economy Recovery Task Force. The seven member group, chaired by Mayor Pro Tem Scheidt, worked with the local business community and non-profits to develop recommendations for how the City might best assist the recovery of our local economy from impacts of COVID-19.
Phase 2: Direct Economic Relief Program (Complete)
Is the payment taxable?
In most cases, the payment is taxable income. The City only issued payments to applicants who provided a signed w9 form. The City will issue 1099 forms to recipients in early 2021 for the 2020 tax year.
How was this program funded?
COV Resolution 20-24: Funding COVID-19 Local Economic Assistance Program for Local Households & Businesses (Approved 04.29.2020)
Phase 1: Immediate Emergency Assistance (Complete)
Between April and August 2020, Valdez City Council passed several resolutions waiving fees, penalties, and interest for a variety of City programs to assist local residents and businesses negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Click the links below to learn more about each immediate economic assistance program:
- COV Resolution 20-19: Waiving Interest Charges for Delinquent Water, Sewer, and Refuse Fees (Approved 04.13.2020)
- COV Resolution 20-25: Waiving Interest Charges for Past Due Harbor Services and City Lease Payments (Approved 04.29.2020)
- COV Resolution 20-42: Suspending Penalties and Interest for Delinquent Property Tax Payments Until December 31, 2020 (Approved 07.22.2020)
- COV Resolution 20-45: Waiving Fees for 2020 Commercial Moorage and Airport Lease Payments for Commercial Businesses Claiming Economic Hardship Related to the COVID-19 Pandemic (Approved 08.19.2020)