New Harbor Project
City of Valdez Photo
The City of Valdez New Harbor Development Project is a multi-year, phased project to build a new harbor basin and upland facilities on the south side of the old Hotel Hill site. The new harbor will include docks/moorage capacity, vehicle parking lot, additional vessel launch ramps, and support services. New access roads and pedestrian walkways will be included to provide increased waterfront accessibility.
- Increased moorage capacity
- Additional launch ramps
- Greater waterfront access for boaters and the non-boating public
- Additional local economic activity
- Opportunity for service industry development and support for the fishing industry
Phase 2 Uplands Facilities and Inner Harbor Facilities
Uplands Facilities and Inner Harbor Facilities
Pacific Pile and Marine (PPM) and subcontractors intermittently performed contract work, Punchlist tasks, Warranty service, and closeout paperwork. Harris Sand & Gravel (HSG) completed the paving and striping, placed topsoil, hydroseed and several trees at the east end of the Uplands. Zastrow finished the main entrance sign. Puffin Electric replaced a defective circuit breaker for one of the cranes on the Drive-Down Float and helped Harbormaster staff troubleshoot card reader and control issues.
DESIGN TEAM - CONSTRUCTION SUPPORT
R&M continued processing outstanding submittals and resubmittals and helped resolve work completion and punchlist problems. R&M performed pre-final civil/structural inspections, RSA inspected the electrical work, and R&M reported on the lab analysis results of samples taken from simulated bilge water before and after treatment by the Oil Trap system. Lab analysis of the treated water showed reduction in some contaminants of concern, but the Oil Trap process still needs to be adjusted to improve the cleanup per Oil Trap’s performance objectives. There will be follow up treatment, sampling and analysis.
USACE NAVIGATION IMPROVEMENTS
The Coast Guard installed the Aids to Navigation (ATON) features on the breakwaters at the harbor entrance. The City is following up with USACE and Coast Guard on installing markers on two navigation piling outside the harbor entrance. The City contract with USACE is still open.
• Completed landscaping, asphalt paving and striping at east end of the site
• Performed Substantial Completion inspections for in-water work and remaining site work items
• Started assigning slips and boats started using the new harbor
• Received ADEC Interim Approval to Operate the Public Water System at the harbor
• Held Public Ceremony on June 29th to officially open the harbor for operation
• Initiated a mediation process with Phase 2 Contractor to resolve open cost issues
• Confirm the Oil Trap treatment of bilge water satisfies contract requirements
• Close out City and USACE contract for navigation dredging and breakwater work
• Complete all Work and Punchlist items, reconcile quantities and costs, and close out Phase 2 Construction Contract
• Obtain ADEC Final Approval to Operate the Public Water System at the harbor
• Complete the testing, procedures and permitting to dispose the treated bilge water
If you have any questions, please contact:
ARCADIS, U.S., Inc.
Director of Capital Facilities
City of Valdez (907) 835-5478